It’s not trivial to know what common substances can affect your cat; many of them are not obvious. This information can be crucial, considering the immense curiosity these cats can display.

Your home can be a dangerous place for your cats and it is entirely your responsibility to create a safe environment for them. Of course, this is not an exhaustive list. But cat brush reviews is important. We hope it will serve to highlight the importance of addressing this issue to prevent accidents that can be fatal.

  1. Herbs
    Take it easy! The most common herbs such as basil, rosemary and dill are safe for cats. Not to mention the favorite catnip.

However, other plants and herbs can adversely affect cats by causing rapid heartbeat, vomiting, diarrhea or even death. These potentially deadly herbs include foxglove, comfrey, aloe, and castor oil.

  1. Houseplants
    There are many houseplants that are lethally toxic to cats, including azaleas, lilies and poinsettias. Ingestion of the leaves and berries can cause vomiting, diarrhea and even death.

According to experts, lilies form one of the most common toxicity problems for cats living indoors. The reason? Many people are simply unaware that all parts of a lily (genera Lilium and Hemerocallis) are poisonous to cats. This includes the petals, stamens, and even the water in the vase that holds them. If you have a cat, they cannot have lilies in your house or garden.

Other plants such as peace, pearl and creek do not cause kidney failure. Instead, these plants contain oxalate crystals, which can cause minor symptoms, such as irritation of the mouth, tongue, throat and esophagus.

  1. Caffeine, one of the common substances that can affect your cat
    Among the common substances that can affect your cat is caffeine. There are many ways a cat can find caffeine in a normal home. Caffeine is present in: coffee, tea, soft drinks, energy drinks, weight lifting supplements, various over-the-counter pills and even diet pills.

Caffeine in cats, in moderate amounts, causes life-threatening problems. Its ingestion can cause heart arrhythmia, pancreatic problems, increased blood pressure and organ damage.

  1. Chocolate is among the common substances that can affect your cat
    Chocolate contains the theobromine alkaloid, which is toxic to cats. It also contains caffeine and may contain sugar. If your cat eats chocolate, it can cause abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, convulsions and even death. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is to a cat.
  2. Drugs, another common substance that can affect your cat
    There are several relatively safe drugs for other animals that are very harmful to cats. This list includes aspirin, acetaminophen, antihistamines, decongestants, ibuprofen, NSAIDs, salicylates and sodium phosphate enemas.

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can cause severe kidney failure and stomach ulcers. Without proper treatment, the consequences can be fatal.

You should always make sure that any medication you are considering giving your cat is specifically safe for felines. Get advice from your vet before administering any medication on your own. And, of course, always keep the first-aid kit locked up somewhere a cat can’t get to.

  1. Insecticides
    Poisoning by domestic insecticides is quite common, also due to inappropriate treatment with a topical medication – intended for use in dogs – to fight fleas and ticks. Exposure to insecticides, such as lawn and garden products, sprays, powders or pellets, often occurs when a cat walks through a treated area. These cases are usually mild to moderate poisonings.

More severe cases occur from exposure to canine ectoparasite medications. These products contain pyrethrins or pyrethroids, which are highly toxic to cats. Commonly, after application, cats may lick themselves or other dogs that live with them.

  1. Mothballs
    Pets can be attracted by the curious smell of mothballs. Used carelessly, they pose a hidden threat to a pet’s health.

Inhalation of mothballs vapor causes breathing difficulty, eye irritation and many other symptoms. Ingestion causes intoxication leading to liver damage, respiratory failure, convulsions, cardiac arrhythmia and the possibility of death.